Travel information including vaccinations needed

If you require travel vaccinations, please complete this form and return to us before an appointment can be made.  The practice nurse will review the completed form and will be in touch regarding the length of appointment required and to request any further information.  Please note there will be a cost for travel vaccinations.  The NHS provides free vaccinations for typhoid and paratyphoid, cholera, poliomyelitis, hepatitis A (may be known as infectious hepatitis) and smallpox.

NHS Link to information

Common vaccinations requiring a fee (as outside of the NHS contracted provision) may include but not limited to:

Japanese B encephalitis, tick-borne encephalitis, rabies, tuberculosis and yellow fever

(yellow fever vaccination can only be undertaken at an approved centre).

This needs to be done at least 6 weeks before travel

The Application Form is below:

Travel Risk Assessment Form Wellington (PDF)

Travelling within 6 weeks leaflet (PDF)

For more information, please visit the Travel Health website via this link NaTHNac

Things to consider

There are several things to consider when planning your travel vaccinations, including:

  • the country or countries you’re visiting – some diseases are more common in certain parts of the world and less common in others
  • when you’re travelling – some diseases are more common at certain times of the year; for example, during the rainy season
  • where you’re staying – in general, you’ll be more at risk of disease in rural areas than in urban areas, and if you’re backpacking and staying in hostels or camping, you may be more at risk than if you were on a package holiday and staying in a hotel
  • how long you’ll be staying – the longer your stay, the greater your risk of being exposed to diseases
  • your age and health – some people may be more vulnerable to infection than others, while some vaccinations can’t be given to people with certain medical conditions
  • what you’ll be doing during your stay – for example, whether you’ll be spending a lot of time outdoors, such as trekking or working in rural areas
  • if you’re working as an aid worker – you may come into contact with more diseases if you’re working in a refugee camp or helping after a natural disaster
  • if you’re working in a medical setting – for example, a doctor or nurse may require additional vaccinations
  • if you are in contact with animals – in this case, you may be more at risk of getting diseases spread by animals, such as rabies

If you’re only travelling to countries in northern and central Europe, North America or Australia, you’re unlikely to need any additional travel vaccinations.

We are unable to advise on pre-travel COVID testing nor do we provide Travel COVID passports. Please visit the website for further information.